A news reporter was killed almost instantly when two unidentified gunmen riding in tandem on a motorcycle shot him in close range in Manila yesterday.
The victim was identified by the National Press Club of the Philippines as Alex Balcobo, 56 years old and a reporter of the Peoples Brigada.
He was the 174th media man who was killed since 1986.
What is astonishing is the fact that assassins of journalists are rarely apprehended by the authorities.
The highest number of journalists killed was in 2009 in Maguindanao when some 32 print and broadcast journalists were killed in a period of two weeks.
The Philippines has always been described by International media as the most dangerous place for journalists.
BENNEX NEWS SERVICE
- TAKE CARE EVERYONE
- A ragtag army
- Repentance always comes at last
- Stupidity at its best
- It’s all about politics
- De Lima, one up and counting
- Putting the lesson of EDSA People Power Revolution to other use
- Remembering Mia
- Not the time to ask the people’s choice
- The Agora
- THE STRIKER
- Bohol, Naga, Davao pilots in connectivity
- TOP ISSUES OF THE DAY
- OF BLACK AND WHITE
- Aris: Chinese investor eyes Bohol for bamboo plantation
- Garbage collection: whose responsibility?
- A new Shepherd in the Diocese of Tagbilaran
- NEW YEAR, SAME THINGS AROUND
- SOME CHALLENGES OF NEW YEAR 2017
- True Christmas is gift giving to those we love and who need it